Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 poem

Master Plan to redevelop Ground Zero
The mayor wanted a “ soaring” memorial
Instead got two voids in the footsteps of the towers.
As if the towers pounded in a space to deposit feelings.
Ten years of disappointing developments.
A unknown man submitted a proposal.
He wanted to bring his image onto dry land.
The man won the competition.
Before it even started there was many set backs
The trade center site is a whole lost opportunity.
It’s now a site of grief

In my poem I decided to try to be a little different. Instead of getting more of my opinion I wrote a bit of a story. I started at the beginning and finished how it ended. I went step by step explaining the memorial. I think the memorial is amazing! The idea of having “soaring towers isn’t really a good idea. people can easily walk through and look at all the names of the lost people. Personally I believe the voids are very beautiful and leaves some of the last traces of the trade centers. Instead of building large buildings in their space they left it open for a more dramatic appearance. I personally believe that putting buildings over the spot is almost like bearing the souls left their. Instead the voids give a more natural beauty to a site full of grief. I also think it would make people somewhat nervous and even sad to have soaring buildings in their place as a memorial. People will be in fear thinking these new buildings might be a target! Even though we know our security is stronger there will always be that fear in Americans. Secondly the sadness would come from being reminded over and over of the event. The voids probably give the people a more since of closure. It’s no more a site of wreckage but a site in remembrance to everybody who lost their lives.

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely with the choice to leave voids instead of replacing the buildings with new potential targets. I think the point is to remember what is now missing instead of trying to pretend we can fill the hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea that is exactly the point I was trying to get across.

      Delete