Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Lone Star Tick

All I can say about this story is WOW! I had no idea being bit by a certain type of tick can cause you to be allergic to meat! It’s very creepy if you think about it, well for me or people like me anyways.

I do a lot of outdoor activities so it’s not uncommon to find a tick on me. There's been several times i’ve been out in the woods with my cousin scavenging around and come home with a tick or two.

After this story I’m going to be more aware and cautious towards ticks.

I did a little research on the difference between ticks. They are very hard to tell apart. Besides most people aren’t going to stop and say hmmm I wonder if this is one of them ticks that makes you allergic to meat, your gonna get that little devil off you quick, fast, and in a hurry!http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/ticks.htm june 2009. Comparison of ticks.

I took the liberty to go and get a picturing comparing the two. As you can see they are very much alike! The only difference is that tick B has a white dot on it’s back. But like I said you're not always going to stop and look for a small spot on a tick your gonna try to just get rid of it!

In my own personal opinion more people should be taught about this type of ticks! I went home and asked people I knew who did a lot of outdoor activities and they all said they’ve never heard of it.

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/maps/lone_star_tick.html August 2nd 2011

In the picture above you can see that the yellow is that area where the lone star tick is at. If all these areas have this tick why don’t people know about it?

2 comments:

  1. What luck that you read this article then so you can be extra cautious and spread the word! I am glad you did some extra research too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The extra research helped give me all 300 words!

      Delete